Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dubai Differences - Random Ramblings

Well, we've been here almost 4 months now.  Here are some additional interesting things I'm finding.
·         The radio station I listen to plays "Hits from the 80's 90's AND NOW!"  I feel like I'm back in the 80's listening to it.  On a daily basis I hear songs from any number of groups from when I was growing up like:  Duran Duran, John Cougar, Bryan Adams, Bananarama (pronounced Baaahnaaahnaaahraaahma), Prince, Wham (YES, I said WHAM), Earth Wind & Fire, Pointer Sisters, Billy Idol and the list goes on and on.  Songs I had forgotten existed but, surprisingly, I still remember ALL the words!
·         Lines at stores are also called queues and people like to stand REALLY CLOSE to you.  We have started putting our "buggies" (AKA grocery carts) behind us when we're at stores so we don't have smelly people breathing down our necks...LITERALLY!
·         I also hear ads for concerts coming to town for groups/people I didn't think were even together/alive anymore.  Stevie Wonder played a couple months ago.  Roxette is coming...I thought they were a one-hit wonder, not sure how they would play for more than 15 minutes.  Even Belinda Carlisle is scheduled to play.  Not sure who's attending these concerts.  Not me!
·         When they talk about traffic accidents they mention how many kilometers the "queue" has gotten.  Occasionally a "lorry" (AKA truck) will be in an accident.  It's the same language but different.  I'm already noticing that I'm picking up on some things.  I have recently asked people to get things done "as SWIFTLY as possible."  I sound OH SO sophisticated!  :-)
·         When I talk about having a "cell" phone people look at me like I'm from Mars.  It's a "mobile" phone - pronounced:  mob-eye-le.  I'm learning!
·         Occasionally we will get into an empty elevator and IMMEDIATELY look at one another in horror and start to hold our breath because the lingering body odor of the previous occupant(s) is still permeating the air!!  Yikes!  What does this summer hold!  Sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it!
·         As I've commented (complained) about previously, people drive like MAD around here.  The government is trying to encourage people to be better drivers so they post interesting messages on electronic signs along the freeway.  One read "Plan your route" I assume encouraging people to get in the lane they need in BEFORE they need to exit.  As opposed to the typical practice of cutting across 4 lanes of traffic and cutting ME off to make their exit.  Another sign read...exactly "Be Ware of other's fault."  The next day it was changed to "Be careful of other's fault".  One I see all the time and still don't know what it means is "Use dipped lights in tunnel."  I have no idea what "dipped lights" are.  I may never know.  My car has auto lights so I'm just hoping my car knows how and when to "dip" its lights!  Ha!
·         Another think I have to be VERY careful about is turning OFF my car when I get gas.  Surprisingly, they don't MAKE you turn it off!!!  It's so easy to pull up, open the window, tell them to "fill it up", and completely forget to turn it off.  Next thing you know I'll be smoking with the car running while getting gas!!!  Just kidding...I really haven't taken up smoking even though it's completely cheap here without all the taxes!
·         I have to catch myself when communicating with other offices.  I was typing a note and about to put "we need to have all the BASES covered" but changed it to "all AREAS covered."  Not sure if everyone understands the baseball references.  I know if someone tried to use a cricket reference with me I would be more than lost!
·         I know they told me it was going to get hot over her and they didn't lie!  It's heating up!  It has hit over 100 degrees Fahrenheit every day the past week.  Funny though, it's more of a dry heat and it's not that bad...YET!

1 comment:

  1. Roxette have got four No.1 hits in the US: The Look, It must have been love, Listen to your heart & Joyride, two No.2 hits there and numerous Top10 hits. They are definitely not one-hit wonders. ;-) And their gigs are worth going to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete