Thursday, March 3, 2011

Metro Train and Valentine's Day

February 13, 2011
                I was researching the use of the Dubai Metro train station today and among the many "thou shalt not's" in the long list of violations were the following verbatim rules:
·         No eating and drinking in prohibited areas, specifically inside the train.
·         No resting feet on seats.
·         No spitting, littering or performing any act that would contaminate public transportation means, facilities and services.  (Hope I don't sneeze!)
·         No entering or sitting in places allocated to specific categories, while holding a different ticket.  (NOTE:  there are separate cars for women and children only but women can sit in any of the cars.)
February 14, 2011
                Well it's Valentine's Day, even here in the UAE!  Mitchell's class was having a Valentine's Day party and he ended up making valentines for all his classmates and teachers (although they sell Valentine's Day cards at card stores here, they don't sell the boxes of Valentine's cards for kids).  We got crafty in the Hodges' household.  We had a hard time finding construction paper but we managed and he has some SAD looking valentines!
                As for Chad & I, we realized last night that 1) We didn't have cards or anything for each other and 2) I have a conference call with Houston that will last until 7PM Dubai time (if I'm lucky).  I guess after 10 years the romance is GONE BABY GONE!  :-)  Mitchell actually received Valentines from his Grandma and Nannie from halfway around the world but Chad & I couldn't pull that together here!  Ha!  It reminded me of a jingle they played on my Houston radio station last year that went "My Valentine's card is a post-it note...please remove your fingers from my THROAT...my Valentine's card is a post-it note!" 
                On my way to work this morning the DJ's were having people call in and tell everyone how to say "Happy Valentine's Day" in their home language since so many nationalities are represented here in Dubai.  I heard how to say Happy Valentine's Day in German, Africans, French, Italian and Spanish!
                I also heard an update on the radio this morning that Tiger Woods was criticized after the golf tournament this weekend for spitting on the green so much!  How DARE he!?!?!?
We're having another adventure this weekend.  Our 30 day visitors' visas expire next week and I'm heading to Belgium so mine would have automatically reset for another 30 days.  It would cost a little over $400 to have my company extend Chad & Mitchell's visas for another 30 days.  Instead, they're paying for our hotel in Muscat, Oman instead of paying to renew their visas.  When we leave the country and re-enter we'll get another 30 days.  So we're taking a road trip!  This Thursday is a holiday here (Mouloud - Birth of the Prophet  - not sure which Prophet but I'll take the day off work!) so we’re heading to Muscat Thursday morning and coming back on Saturday afternoon, just in time for me to spend one night in Dubai and then head to Belgium Sunday morning!  Such the world travelers!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment